I am continuing to set up my Cultural Art class. The second week my students will be looking at what personal identity, family, and community mean to them. The students will continue to use the 5E Model (Engage, Explore, Explain, Extend, & Evaluate). I am also having students use the same format presented last week with the 4 boxes for Depth of Knowledge type questions.
I reworked this lesson from before. My original lesson was called: My Quality World. My lesson was a good lesson and it was effective; however, it was not focused on the 5E model and that is what I’m working towards. It is a direction my school is headed.
So a short synapses of the lesson:
- Engage: Students tell each other why an artist uses a portfolio
- Explore: Students discuss the meaning of personal identity, family, and community
- Explain: Students explain their neighbor’s response and to me the steps that they need to edit
- Extend: Students answer the following question about their own artwork: How do different characteristics in this artwork work together to express your personal identity?
- Evaluate: Students use a rubric that looks like a hamburger in different stages of completeness, Students evaluate themselves along the way and I will also evaluate them throughout and then give a final grade when they are done.
My shameless plug: If you are interested in purchasing the lesson click here to be brought to my page on Teachers Pay Teachers.
Other websites to check out on Depth of Knowledge and the 5E model:
- Chart of Depth of Knowledge and quick overview: http://www.ode.state.or.us/teachlearn/subjects/socialscience/standards/depthofknowledgechart.pdf
- Chart of the 5E model and quick overview: http://www.wisd.org/users/0001/docs/GVC/5E%20Model.pdf